|The easiest way to lose weight is to check it as airline baggage.
|Share your health tips with us...
|Make DilSeDilTak.net part of
your healthy lifestyle.
For updates, visit regularly.
|Health Benefits of Banana
| Bananas are a great food for all round health benefits. For the average person, dieter or even athletes, bananas may provide
greater benefits than most fruits. The combination of carbohydrates and B vitamins present in a banana helps provide an energy
This fruit comes in yellow, green, and red varieties and has been proven to have a number of medicinal benefits:
- Boost of Energy: At only about 100 calories, bananas will give you a natural boost of energy. They contain sucrose,
fructose, and glucose which will give you an instant and sustainable amount of energy. Athletes eat bananas frequently for
this reason. A good way to start the day is to slice up a banana and add it to your whole grain cereal.
- Dysentery: Mashed banana together with little salt is a very valuable remedy for dysentery. Ripe bananas are also very
useful in dysentery of children, but they should be thoroughly mashed and beaten to cream before use in these cases.
- Intestinal Disorder: The banana is used as a dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and
blandness. It is the only raw fruit which can be eaten without distress in chronic ulcer cases. It neutralizes the over-acidity of
the gastric juices and reduces the irritation of the ulcer by coating the lining of the stomach. Ripe banana are highly
beneficial in the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Being bland, smooth, easily digestible and slightly laxative, they relieve acute
symptoms and promote the healing process.
- Constipation and Diarrhea: Bananas are of great value in constipation and diarrhea as they normalize colonic functions
in the large intestine to absorb large amounts of water for proper bowel moments. Their usefulness in constipation is due to
their richness in pectin, which is water-absorbent and this gives them a bulk producing ability. They also possess the ability
to change the bacteria in the intestines from the harmful type of bacilli to the beneficial acidophilus bacilli.
- Cure a Hangover: A great remedy for a hangover is a banana milkshake with honey. The banana soothes your stomach.
Along with the milk, it rehydrates your system. The honey also comforts your stomach and brings your depleted levels of
blood sugar and potassium back to normal.
- Helps Quit Smoking: The combination of magnesium, potassium, vitamins A1, B6, B12, and Vitamin C help the body with
- Reduced Risk of Stroke: Bananas are an extremely good source of potassium and low in salt. Potassium is important for
the body as it helps keep the body fluids and electrolyte balance in body cells and helps in regulating blood pressure,
thereby reducing the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Research has shown that regular intake of bananas can reduce the
risk of stroke by 40%. A medium-size banana contains at least 450 mg of potassium.
- Improve Your Mood: Banana contain tryptophan, an essential amino acid that is responsible for serotonin production.
Serotonin is a hormone that is known to improve your mood and reduce stress.
- Keeps You Alert: It's widely known that bananas help improve brain function. Once again, it's a good idea to add a
banana to your breakfast before you start the day.
- Anemia: Being high in iron content, bananas are beneficial in the treatment of anemia. They stimulate the production of
hemoglobin in the blood.
- Allergies: The fruit is very useful for those who are allergic to certain foods and who suffer in consequence from skin
rashes or digestive disorders or asthma. Unlike other protein foods, many of which contain an amino-acid which these
persons cannot tolerate and which causes allergy. Bananas contain only benign amino-acids which in most cases are not
allergic. The fruit, however, does cause allergic reactions in certain sensitive persons and they should avoid it.
- Kidney Disorders: Bananas are valuable in kidney disorders because of their low protein and salt content and high
carbohydrate content. They are useful in uremia, a toxic condition of the blood die to kidney congestion and dysfunction. In
such cases, a diet of bananas should only be taken for three to four days, consuming eight to nine bananas a day. This
diet is suitable for all kidney troubles, including nephritis.
- Menstrual Disorders: Cooked banana flower eaten with curd is considered an effective medicine for menstrual disorders
like painful menstruation and excessive bleeding. Banana flower helps increase progesterone hormone which reduces the
- Urinary Disorders: Juice from banana stem is a well-known remedy for urinary disorders. It improves the functional
efficiency of kidney and liver thereby alleviating the discomforts and diseased condition in them. It clears the excretion
organs in the abdominal region of toxins and helps to eliminate them in the form of urine. It has been found to be of great
help in the treatment for the removal of stones in the kidney, gall bladder, and prostate. It is advisable to mix this juice
whenever possible with the juice of ash pumpkin (petha).
- Over-weight: A diet consisting of bananas and skimmed milk is considered an effective remedy for weight reduction.
Bananas need to be treated with care as they bruise easily. The ideal way to store bananas is to keep them at room temperature.
In order to ripen bananas, you can either wrap them in a newspaper or keep them in a brown paper bag. If you store a banana in
a fridge it will turn black. However it will still be edible.
|10 Health Benefits of Eating Spicy Food
| Spicy Food is enjoyed all over the world because spices add an incredible amount of flavor to food. Cultures all over the world
have dishes that excite and stimulate your palate with spices and add heat and flavor to everyday ingredients. But if you like spicy
food like chilies, curry and hot sauces, there is so much more to look forward to.
Recent research shows that adding some spice to your meal can provide more health benefits than was ever thought. Yes! You
heard it right; in addition to making your taste buds sizzle, spicy foods can also deliver many health benefits. These include:
- Helps in Losing Weight: Hot peppers contain Capsaicin which can speed up metabolism and help the body burn calories
faster. This is because Capsaicin increases your body temperature and contributes to an increase in your heart rate.
Furthermore, studies have shown that people who eat spicy foods eat smaller portions which can reduce their calories
- Good for heart: Hot peppers may help to improve heart health by improving the body's ability to dissolve blood clots.
Research has shown that low-density cholesterol (LDL or bad cholestrol) resisted oxidation for a longer period of time
(which can clog your arteries) when chili was added to the diet, thus reducing the heart stroke risk. The capsaicin in
peppers also fights inflammation, which has been identified as a risk factor for heart disease. Additionally statistics show
that cultures that eat spicy foods frequently have a much lower rate of heart attack and stroke.
- Improved circulation: Spicy foods also promote good circulation, and they appear to lower blood pressure. When you
eat spicy food, your body's temperature is raised; therefore, it increases your blood flow and gets your heart pumping.
Peppers help strengthen the blood vessel walls as they are high in vitamin A and C.
- Anti cancer: Many studies have shown that regular consumption of chilies and curry decrease the risk of cancer.
Capsaicin slows the growth of cancer cells and in some cases, even causes the cancer cells to die off without harming the
surrounding cells. In countries where diets are traditionally high in capsaicin like India and Mexico, people tend to have
lower rates of some cancers.
- Improved digestion: Spices also improve your digestion because they increase the hydrochloric secretion of your
stomach. This in turn will increase blood flow to the stomach and even increase the mucous lining. Capsaicin also helps to
kill bacteria like H. pylori and help to prevent or cure stomach ulcers. However, if you get heartburn from spicy foods, try
taking an antacid relief tablet which will neutralize acids in the stomach.
- Arthritis: Turmeric (haldi) reduces joint inflammation and bone destruction in people. Circumin present in turmeric helps to
alleviate the pain associated with arthritis.
- Cold and Flu: Capsaicin promotes sweating and eases the discomfort of cold and flu symptoms. It also helps to open up
the nasal passages. It may also reduce sinusitis, and other flu symptoms.
- Improved Sleep Pattern: Australian researchers have found that people who regularly consumed spicy meals fell asleep
more easily. They also woke up easier and had more energy throughout the day.
- Mood lifter: Chili peppers boost the level of endorphins and serotonin that dulls pain and give us a feeling of well being. It
can act as a depression fighter and powerful stress reliever.
- Improves breathing: Hot peppers act as an expectorant, and can help people with asthma,
- chronic bronchitis, emphysema, sinusitis, and other respiratory conditions breathe easier.
- Hot peppers can help you to breathe better by opening up clogged nasal passages.
However, it is important to take spicy foods moderately especially if you
have sensitive stomach or you simply have a low tolerance for them.
Learn to have your food spicy and hot and enjoy the amazing heath
benefits of spicy foods.
| Health Benefits of Almonds
| Almonds (badam) are one of the most nutritious nuts around. Almonds are high in protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
This nut like seed has gained quite a reputation as being a superfood. You can eat it as a quick and healthy snack, or put it in
your milk shakes or mix it with fresh fruits and vegetables to make a detoxifying drink.
When it comes to snack foods, the health benefits of almonds secure top honors for the nut. The health benefits are wide and
varied. Here are some amazing health benefits that almonds have:
- Keeps the Heart healthy: A study showed those who consumed nuts five times a week had a 50% reduction in risk of
heart attack. Huge amounts of vitamin E found in these nuts acts as an antioxidant and reduces the risk of heart diseases.
Almonds also help reduce C-reactive protein (CRP) which causes artery-damaging inflammation.
- Reduces bad cholesterol: Almonds are a good source of monounsaturated fats and some polyunsaturated fats which
help to lower the low-density lipoprotein (LDL or "bad" cholesterol). A handful of almonds every day can lower your bad
cholesterol level by 8 to 12 percent.
- Improves blood circulation: Almonds are high in potassium and low in sodium, both are factors that regulate blood
pressure. The high level of magnesium in almonds has a very positive effect on our arteries and veins and helps to
improve the overall flow of nutrients through our bodies. It also contains iron, which helps carry oxygen to all of the body's
cells and organs.
- Strengthen our bones: They are a very good source of calcium which prevents osteoporosis and strengthens the bones,
teeth and muscles. It also provides other nutrients that help to increase the bone mineral density, which helps to strengthen
the skeletal system.
- Helps you lose weight: Almonds have high fiber content, protein and the good type of fat which satisfies your appetite
very soon therefore you are less likely to have cravings and overeat. Studies have revealed that almond rich low calorie
diet is good for obese people to assist in shedding their weight.
- Good for diabetic people: They are a low glycemic index (GI) food. When eaten with a high GI food, it helps in reducing
the rise in sugar and insulin levels after meals.
- Reduces the risk of Cancer: Being high in natural fiber, it improves the movement of food through the colon, thereby
preventing colon cancer. It is an excellent source of vitamin E, phytochemicals and flavonoids which suppress the growth of
breast cancer cells. It is also rich source of boron which helps to prevent prostate cancer.
- Prevents Gallstones: People eating at least 5 almonds a day have a 25% lower risk of developing gallstones, a study
confirms. Almond oil also possesses laxative properties and helps to produce soft stools and avoid any constipation.
- Good for hair: A massage of Almond oil mixed with Indian gooseberry (amla) juice can prevent hair loss. It also prevents
graying and thinning of hair. It also helps if you have dandruff.
- Good for skin: An almond face pack prevents dry skin, pimples and black heads and is a good long term cure for acne. It
also improves skin complexion and premature aging. It nourishes the skin making it smooth and soft.
- Energy booster: Nutrients present in almonds like Protein, Manganese, Copper & Riboflavin are all used to generate
energy in our body. An almond chocolate or an energy bar is something must if you are always on the move.
- Good for brain power: Almond is a source of many nutrients which helps in development of the brain development.
Ayurveda recommends having 5 soaked almonds in the morning everyday for maximum brainpower. Phenylalanine, a brain-
boosting chemical present in almond, aids healthy development of our cognitive functions.
They provide high quality and highly absorbable protein. A quarter-cup (containing around
- Good source of Protein: Almonds, like all nuts, provide one of the best plant sources of protein.
30 almonds) contains around 7.6 grams of protein.
Almonds, though a bit expensive, are easily available and can be consumed at any time and in all
seasons. The sweet almonds are edible and bitter almonds are used to make almond oil.So go Nuts on Almonds and stay healthy!
In recent years increased recognition has been given to commonplace fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts and teas -- all of
which are rich sources of phytonutrients and can be considered superfoods. These pantry staples are jam-packed with vital
nutrients, vitamins, minerals and other things scientists probably haven't even named yet. If everyone would just eat more of these
foods every day, there might never be a need for vitamin supplements!
What is a superfood?
"Superfood" is a term sometimes used to describe food with a high phytonutrient content that may bestow health benefits as a result.
One of the most important things you want to understand about superfoods is that they contain an exceptionally high nutrient content
when compared with the amount of calories per serving. So that means a food such as spinach, which is especially dense in iron, is a
superfood. When you eat spinach, it means you're getting the most out of every calorie you consume.
What is a phytonutrient?
The term "phyto" originated from a Greek word meaning plant. Phytonutrients are certain organic components of plants, and these
components are thought to promote human health. Unlike the traditional nutrients (protein, fat, vitamins, minerals), phytonutrients are
not "essential" for life, so some people prefer the term "phytochemical."
How to stock a superfoods pantry
The most common superfoods, which are not only accessible at your local grocery or natural food store, but affordable as well, are:
usually deep orange-yellow or red in color, that occur in a variety of plants.
- Avocados are a truly nutrient-dense food rich in monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Beans and legumes are low-fat plant proteins that are filled with fiber, B vitamins, minerals and phyto nutrients.
- Blueberries have a synergy of multiple nutrients and phytonutrients, along with vitamins C and E and lots of minerals.
- Crucifers such as kale and cabbage, and especially broccoli, are excellent sources of vegetarian iron.
- Dark chocolate contains flavonols, which are potent antioxidants.
- Nuts and seeds contain a host of nutrients and minerals, including protein, fiber and vitamin E. The fat in most nuts comes
from heart-healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
- Oranges are rich in vitamin C, a very potent antioxidant that maintains the health of cells.
- Pumpkins contain one of the richest supplies of carotenoids, which are fat-soluble, health-promoting compounds,
from disease. Lycopene is more highly concentrated in cooked tomato products than in fresh tomatoes.
- Soy is part of the legume family, but unlike other beans, it has a complete protein profile and is a rich source of
polyunsaturated fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Spinach has a high nutritional value, is extremely rich in antioxidants, and is considered to be a good source of iron.
- Whole grains such as quinoa, brown rice and millet help stabilize blood sugar and insulin and may protect against heart
disease. Whole-grain foods are made with all three parts of a grain kernel -- the bran, germ and endosperm -- unlike
processed flours, which do not have these three parts intact.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant shown to help stimulate the immune system and protect
|How to Stock a Superfoods Pantry
By Ann Gentry
Turmeric is dried root that grows about 2 feet in length. The turmeric plant is about 3 feet long with funnel-shaped yellow flowers.
Turmeric is bright yellow in color. It has an earthy aromatic and spicy fragrance with slightly bitter flavor. Turmeric is an important spice
in India having great religious significance.
1) Kitchen Use
Turmeric is used as coloring agent. It is used to color as well as flavor prepared pickles, relish,
chutneys and rice dishes. Turmeric is combined with almost every dish in India. It is also
combined in rice dishes. It is a very important ingredient of curry powders. It is also used in
stews and curries.
2) Medicinal use
Turmeric is used as remedy for the following common problems:
1. Apply the paste of turmeric and sesame oil on body to prevent eruptions.
2. To avoid any kind of skin problems apply turmeric paste before a bath.
3. To cure itching take roasted turmeric with jaggery.
4. To eliminate freckles and spots rub ground turmeric on stone with the help
of water and then apply this paste on skin.
5. You can also make a paste of ground turmeric with milk of banyan or pipal
and soak it overnight and then apply it for 1 hour before bath. This will help in
removing freckles and also give glow to the face
6. Make a pudding of 2 tsp flour with 1 tsp ghee and 1 tsp turmeric, 2 tsp sugar
and 1 cup water and take this in the morning it will help in curing Utricaria.
1. To get instant relief from acidity take turmeric powder and salt in equal quantity with
2. Taking curd or butter milk with turmeric after lunch cures digestive problems.
3. Grind 4 gms turmeric, 4 gms dried ginger, 2 gms black pepper and 2 gms
cardomom and take this mixture after meals,This will aid digestion and will eliminate
LIVER PROTECTION: Turmeric helps in minimizing liver damages caused by taking
excess alcohol regularly or using pain-killer.
ARTHRITIS: Turmeric help relieve wound inflammation and in treating arthritis.
HEART PROTECTION: Turmeric helps in reducing cholesterol
WOUND, BRUISES and SPRAIN:
1. Apply bit of turmeric on cuts and scrapes after washing them with cold water.
2. Take 1 tsp turmeric powder with hot milk.
3. Make a bandage of the following things and apply on the wound: mix 4 tsp flour, 2 tsp turmeric powder, 1tsp pure ghee, 1/2 tsp
sendha namak (non refined salt) with water.
4. Take 500ml of water and boil it with 1 tsp sendha namak and 1 tsp turmeric powder. Give fomentation to the bruised part with a cloth
soaked in this water. This will help get rid of pain and swelling in that region.
5. Dusting turmeric powder on wounds also helps in relieving the pain and swelling.
The henna plant has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries.
- One of its main properties is that of a cooling agent. It is for this reason that
henna is applied to burns and scrapes and is often used to treat heat exhaustion
and to bring down the fever of a sick person. It may also be applied to the skin to
treat a variety of rashes including athletes foot and ringworm. Henna also
provides a complete sunblock.
- Dry leaves of Henna if kept in clothes, serve the purpose of insect repellant.
- If the paste of Henna is applied on nails, the lustre of the nails increases and if
applied on feet and soles, is effective in burning feet syndrome.
- If the nails become disfigured after getting fungal infection, it is advisable to use
Henna with vinegar to restore it to normalcy. The paste of Henna is very effective
in Burns and scalds. It heals the boils of scalp if applied with Roghan-e-Zaitoon.
- The physicians of Unani Medicine describe it as a good blood purifier. Hakim
Ajmal Khan once used the paste of Henna on the palms of a female patient who
was suffering from Menorrhagia and she got cured. Headache from heat is cured
by inhaling the scent of its flowers.
- The oil prepared from olive oil and leaves of Henna is very much effective in
muscular rigidity. If Henna leaves are soaked in a sufficient quantity of water
and kept throughout the night and the decanted water is taken in morning it is
effective in Jaundice and Splenomegaly. If the Henna water is taken in morning
for 40 days, it is effective in leprosy and heals the wounds.
- Its gargles are beneficial in stomatitis and all ulcers of tongue, cheeks and lips.
Its local application has soothing effects on acute inflammations and hot
abscesses. Henna levels’ extract in oil mixed with natural wax and oil of rose, if
applied locally in conditions of backache, is highly effective.
- Henna Balm also benefits in the treatment of the cracking of nails. This is done
by drinking the water of soaked henna leaves for ten days. Henna paste also
helps in the upkeep of healthy nails and beautifies them.